Cordless vacuum cleaners have come a long, long way since the days they were weak substitutes to regular vacuums and best used in a tiny apartment. With the invention of better, stronger, longer lasting batteries, they have much more power and much more range.
A cordless vac has always been a great and lightweight way to pick up messes quickly. Now, they’ve increased their capacity, and some even have attachments for a more thorough cleaning experience.
One might argue that some of the newest models are all you need, and that it’s time to give away your old vacuum cleaner. That’s entirely possible, especially if you have hardwood floors in your home. We’ll evaluate the best of the cordless vacs out there to help you make your choice.
Since cordless vacuums help you escape the tangle of electric cords, we’ll check on the total running time you’ll get from each battery charge.
We’ll look for any additional features, such as hand attachments, that may meet your special cleaning needs.
Another reason for breaking free of corded vacuums is the weight involved. We’ll report on how much each unit weighs.
And, in case you still have smaller throw rugs to vacuum in your home, we’ll advise on the best machines to handle them.
Go ahead and drop that bowl of popcorn on your wood floors – let’s go try out some vacuums!
- 1 Our Reviews: 10 Best Cordless Vacuum for Hardwood Floors 2018
- 1.1 1. Dibea KB-9008 Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner – Best for Dorm Rooms
- 1.2 2. Dyson V8 Absolute Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Best Way to Simplify
- 1.3 3. Tineco A10 Hero – Best for Life On The Road
- 1.4 4. The Shark Navigator Freestyle Upright Stick Cordless Bagless Vacuum – Best for Homes With Pets
- 1.5 5. Ergorapido Lithium Ion 2-1 Stick & Handheld Vacuum – Best for Multi-Story Homes
- 1.6 6. Shark IONFlex DuoClean Ultra-Light Cordless Vacuum – Best Housewarming Present
- 1.7 7. Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner – Best for The Allergy Prone
- 1.8 8. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Best for Homes With Children
- 1.9 9. Roomie Tec Cordless Vacuum Cleaner – Best All Around
- 1.10 10. Bissell 1984 Air Ram Cordless Vacuum – Best for The Speed Demon In Your Family
- 2 Conclusion
Our Reviews: 10 Best Cordless Vacuum for Hardwood Floors 2018
1. Dibea KB-9008 Cordless Upright Vacuum Cleaner – Best for Dorm Rooms
If you’re looking to set up your college-bound student with a way to keep the old room tidy, the Dibea KB-9008 is an affordable choice. This is a well-priced unit, with features that will help your collegian clean from dormitory to car.
The Dibea weighs in at a trim 6.8 pounds, and has a slim profile that allows it to be stored upright – nice for smaller spaces. It is primarily a hard floor specialist, and reviewers note that it performs well on hardwood, tile and other types of hard floors – as dorm rooms normally have. It will also handle light rugs.
In crowded dorm rooms, the flexible head that rotates 180 degrees will make sweeping around various items easy, and will also reach into those corners and under furniture.
Reviewers say that it is quiet and great for the sort of spot cleaning that dorm life often requires. It runs for up to 40 minutes on a charge, allowing your student time to clean well and also loan it out to their neighbors.
A notable feature of this machine is the 2 in 1 design with a hand vac unit that can be removed for cleaning things like beds, couches, and countertops. It can also be used in cars. The two suction modes allow for deeper cleaning on things like auto floor mats.
The motorized cleaning head is efficient for lifting up dirt and debris in light carpet. The dust bin is not large, but serviceable at .5 liters. Reviewers like the rubber wheels that glide easily and don’t mark up floors.
Recharging time is 4-5 hours, per the manufacturer and reviewers. It comes with a HEPA filter.
- Reviewers agree that the Dibea does very well on hard floors, but struggles with anything other than the thinnest of rugs.
- Per some reviewers, the power button is placed awkwardly – making it easy to accidentally turn the machine off while using.
- The roller brush can become tangled with hair easily.
2. Dyson V8 Absolute Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Best Way to Simplify
If you’ve recently been inspired to downsize and reduce, then the Dyson V8 is the one to consider. This gives the suction power that the company is known for, while reducing the size and weight – while still providing the user with lots of useful attachments.
Weighing in at just under 6 pounds, this unit even has a wall-docking station that stores the tools on it. If you’re really trying to make room and replace some household electronics, it’s a great feature.
Reviewers praise the efficient work this machine does on hardwood floors. The V8 has a special hardwood floor attachment with a soft roller head, and can handle larger and heavier debris like cat litter.
Additional attachments include the carpet cleaning head, a crevice cleaner, a soft dusting brush, a combination head with an extension wand, and an animal hair cleaner. Although reviewers pointed out that it wasn’t totally efficient on very deep pile carpet, the carpet cleaning head is mentioned as being very competent on lower pile rugs.
This model also quickly converts to a handheld unit for cleaning upholstery and places like stairs, making it truly versatile. Reviewers say it does a nice job out in the car on upholstery and floor mats, too.
It runs for up to 40 minutes per charge on the regular settings, and up to 25 minutes when using the motorized attachments. It has a HEPA filter and also touch-free emptying of the .14 gallon bin.
- The power button must be held down while using the machine. This can be a problem for many people with impaired mobility or arthritis.
- Battery life is cut by almost half when using the higher suction settings.
- Dust bin is much smaller than some comparable models
3. Tineco A10 Hero – Best for Life On The Road
Do you need the best way to keep your travels clean and carefree? The Tineco A10 Hero is going to be a terrific choice for you. Not only will the sleek unit store easily – it will take care of your floors and much more. Weighing in at just 5 pounds, it has great power for its size, according to reviewers.
The unit comes with a detachable battery pack, and gets up to 25 minutes per charge, and additional battery packs are available for purchase, if your space regularly takes more time than that to clean.
Nice features that are standard on the machine are a power brush with LED lights (great for getting in those corners), a crevice tool, and a dusting brush. Your motorhome or trailer can be cleaned top to bottom – and you can even tackle sand from the beach.
Reviewers mentioned that this is a quiet vacuum to use – which is certainly a nice feature in a small enclosed space. They also say that the suction stays strong and consistent, even as the battery goes down.
The motorized attachment does a nice job on low-pile carpets and upholstery, per reviewers. This could easily be used all over your RV, even in the driver’s section.
- This unit is quite compact, and has a smaller dust bin.
- Does not stand up on its own when stored – must be put away flat or hung from the included storage rack.
- Some reviewers mentioned that it does not handle throw rugs well and tends to suck them up into the power head.
Hair – cat litter, missed pieces of kibble – these demand more suction power from your machine. The Shark Navigator has this, and also other features that make your life with pets easier.
Weighing in at 7.5 pounds, the Navigator has strong suction and can handle pet debris.Reviewers really liked the fact that it quickly picked up pet hair, and then emptied easily. This model does have an extra large dust bin, so it doesn’t need to be emptied as often as some of the other models reviewed.
The Navigator has a swiveling head that works well to get around furniture legs and corners. It operates more like a conventional vacuum – nothing to break down, and it stores upright in the charging stand. Charging time is about 4 hours, and battery life is about 20 minutes per use.
Reviewers say it does a good job on all types of hard floors from wood to tile. It also comes with a rotating brush head that can be activated for switching between carpet and wood floors, simply by tapping your foot.
They also say that the Navigator does well at picking up pet-specific debris like kibble, cat litter, tracked-in wood mulch, etc. The brush head has a low profile and is easy to maneuver under counter edges and below furniture – exactly where pet hair tends to go.
- The unit has a blinking light that indicates when it is charging – this will stay on during the entire 4-hour battery charging cycle. Some reviewers find it annoying, so we feel it’s worth mentioning.
- This a truly a hardwood floor machine, and does not perform well on carpets.
- The 20 minute running time on a charged battery is on the low end of the range for models we reviewed.
5. Ergorapido Lithium Ion 2-1 Stick & Handheld Vacuum – Best for Multi-Story Homes
If you are on the hunt for a vacuum that would help lighten the load as you go up and down the stairs, then the Electrolux Ergorapido is an attractive and lightweight addition to your cleaning arsenal.
The Ergorapido Lithium Ion Plus 2-in-1 cordless offers two vacuums in one, and only weighs in at 5.5 pounds. If you’ve been clunking your vacuum up and down the stairs, or using a long wand to work on steps, this is a breath of fresh air.
Reviewers love that the suction on this model stays strong as you clean. The battery lasts up to 21 minutes, and is replaceable by ordering online. The time to recharge is about 4 hours.
The handheld unit pops off easily and is very lightweight. It’s strong enough to get stair treads clean, and light enough to maneuver onto higher spots that need a bit of a touch-up. With the dust collector located on the same unit, it’s easy to stop and empty out before moving on to the rest of your hardwood floors.
The Ergorapido Lithium is easy to carry and will stand upright while you move furniture or other items. The cleaning head swivels 180 degrees, which allows you to steer easily around furniture legs or corners. It also comes with an additional crevice tool and dusting brush that store in the handle.
Lots of reviewers complimented this machine’s easy emptying of the dust bin. The bagless design means that contacting dust is minimal.
The head is motorized and will also work on light rugs. In between uses, it plugs in to recharge while it stands up. There is no charging stand to fuss with.
- This is primarily a hard floor machine and does not work well on anything more than light rugs.
- Shorter battery life than some other units reviewed
- Some reviewers noted that the battery needed replacement after several months.
6. Shark IONFlex DuoClean Ultra-Light Cordless Vacuum – Best Housewarming Present
For a great gift to someone just moving into their first home, consider the Shark IONFlex DuoClean Ultra-Light Cordless Vacuum – it is a present that will take care of many cleaning tasks.
This unit comes with two battery packs, so that you can switch out the batteries as one runs down. If one person wants to vacuum the floors, and another wants to clean up the car, there’s enough battery life to share.
The machine will operate for up to 20 minutes on each battery, and about half that for the more powerful setting. You can double that time if both the batteries are kept charged. Even with the strong motor, it weighs in at a light 8.7 pounds.
The IONFlex comes with accessories that make it easy for people to clean everything in their home. It converts into a handheld vacuum that can reach behind furniture and up to cobwebs. The upholstery tool, crevice brush, and two dusting brushes make cleaning fragile items or car interiors easy.
The cleaning head has both a bristle brush and a soft brush roll to handle cleaning hardwood floors, tile, and carpet.
Reviewers say it has great suction and like the buttons that allow you to switch easily from hard floors to carpet. The handheld unit has strong suction and weighs about 3 pounds on its own.
The dust bin is a nice sized .7 liters, and is easy to empty. The whole unit maneuvers on rollers and can be configured to reach way under beds and behind furniture without stooping.
- Somewhat heavier than the other machines we reviewed.
- The IONFlex comes in at the high end of the price range for cordless vacuums.
- Some reviewers noted battery life to be shorter than what the manufacturer states.
7. Deik Cordless Vacuum Cleaner – Best for The Allergy Prone
If one of the reasons you prefer hardwood floors in your home is to cut down on allergy-provoking dust, the Deik Cordless is the one to look at. This was a popular choice with reviewers who wanted good suction with hands-free bin emptying and good filtration.
The machine has one of the longest battery lives of the ones reviewed – up to 50 minutes on “Eco Mode”, and 25 minutes for the high-power setting. The recharging time using the base charger is about 5 hours.
Reviewers almost all agreed that the suction on the Deik Cordless was strong and efficient. This suction can also be utilized by using the detachable hand vac unit. The whole machine weighs in at 8.5 pounds.
The excellent filtration features of this unit are what make it stand out for allergy sufferers. It uses a total of 3 filters – one of them a washable HEPA filter, to screen out the maximum amount of dust particles. It also has hands-free dustbin emptying that allows the user to just hold the bin over the trash and push a button.
Reviewers also liked the LED lights that are standard on the unit, which help show up debris that might be otherwise missed.
- Reviewers note that the paper filters need to be cleaned regularly for the best cleaning results.
- Not effective on rugs or carpet
- Battery charge time is longer than on some other units.
8. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Best for Homes With Children
Keeping up with dropped cereal, outside dirt and other parts of toddlerhood can be a challenge – that’s why we recommend the Hoover Linx model.
This is a well-priced machine that is ideal for keeping around in those high-traffic areas where the kids run through. It has the Hoover WindTunnel technology for good suction – perfect for those missed cracker pieces that hit the floor.
the Linx has a wide head with edge cleaning bristles that allows the user to work faster and more efficiently, even up against walls and around corners. Reviewers really love the way it works on hardwood floors, and say it does a terrific job of picking up all kinds of miscellaneous dirt and debris. They also like the easy-empty dirt cup.
Another favorite of the reviewers was the battery life indicator on the handle of the unit. They report that they can get up to 40 minutes of cleaning time on each battery. The settings that utilize the motorized head require more power. The batteries are interchangeable and can be swapped out to recharge while the user continues to clean.
The whole unit will recline to reach under and behind furniture, and it will switch between hard and carpeted floors easily. It weighs in at just over 10 pounds and has a two year warranty.
- Some reviewers experienced problems with hair wrapping around the roller head.
- One of the heavier units that we reviewed.
- Some users do not like the batteries that must be removed to recharge. If you prefer a charging dock, this machine does not have one.
9. Roomie Tec Cordless Vacuum Cleaner – Best All Around
Out of all the units we reviewed, the one with the best balance between price, features, and performance was the Roomie Tec Cordless. Not just a cute name – the Roomie Tec is a nice little vacuum for general use. It combines the popular feature of a two-in-one style with adequate power and general versatility.
The Roomie weighs in at just 4.5 pounds, with the detachable handheld unit weighing 2.1 pounds. Reviewers really liked how lightweight the unit was, while still providing the power to deal with things like pet hair on hard floors.
The battery lasts for up to 23 minutes when the machine is used in “Eco Mode”. It recharges on a base, and takes about 4 hours to do so.
This machine also comes with a crevice tool that can be used for cars and upholstery. Another nice feature on the main motorized cleaning head is LED “headlights” to help with effective cleaning even in dark corners. Reviewers noted that they are quite bright and helpful.
The head swivels 180 degrees, and also bends down easily. This makes it a machine capable of getting around corners, furniture legs, and under beds. If additional cleaning is needed off the floor, the handheld unit pops off the handle, and can be used on things like counters and windowsills.
A feature reviewers liked on the Roomie was the removable beater bar – allowing the user to remove any hair tangles more easily.
The dust bin holds .5 liters and is clear, so that you can see when it needs to be emptied.
- Not that effective for rugs and carpet
- Some reviewers have had problems putting the dirt cup back on the machine after emptying it.
- Filters should be changed frequently to maintain suction
10. Bissell 1984 Air Ram Cordless Vacuum – Best for The Speed Demon In Your Family
As a fast-moving, easy maneuverable machine, the Bissel Air Ram should please even the budding race car driver in your household. It’s mean, green, and pretty lean at under 8 pounds.
This machine is efficient and strong – reviewers noted that it is really easy to maneuver and that the headlights are strong and good at highlighting problems areas. It even empties quickly – the “Easy Empty” slider pushes out the dirt and debris for the user, so that it’s fast and tidy. The dirt cup holds about .6 liters, and features a washable felt filter.
Battery life for the Air Ram is also more than adequate for a quick cleaning session – it lasts for up to 40 minutes without any loss of power or suction. The unit recharges by removing the battery – the total recharging time is about 5 hours.
Reviewers say that this vacuum does an excellent job on hard floors. The power head has a multi-surface brush roll that can be used to clean both hard floors and carpet. The handle can be laid almost flat to reach far under furniture, beds or other low items.
Reviewers also noted that it does a good job on both dusty floors and in picking up pet hair.
The handle can be collapsed for easier storage, and the unit can be stored away from the batter while it recharges.
- Reviewers recommend frequent cleaning of the washable filter to avoid loss of suction or lingering pet odors.
- There is no option to run the machine without the roller brush – this may lead to hair tangling in the power head.
- There is only one power setting – no low or high speed is available.
Choosing the best cordless vacuum for your hardwood floors can involve decisions about how often and long you will be cleaning, how much dirt you usually gather up in the dust bin, and the way you’ll be using the machine – on multiple floors, for example
The number of throw rugs or carpeted areas that may be included in your cleaning process can also be very important, as well as if you’ll need to reach higher or further than some machines can handle. Evaluating your normal use will help you pick out the best machine from the wide away of lightweight cordless options that are available to you.