Grooming is an important and necessary part of sharing your life with a dog. Regular grooming not only cuts down on unwanted shed hair, it is also required to prevent those nasty mats and snarls that can be painful and actually damage your pup’s skin. Grooming your dog will give them a soft, shiny, healthy haircoat by dispersing those natural skin oils. The best part about grooming your dog is it doesn’t have to be done by a professional!
Many dog parents choose to groom their dog at home because it’s a great bonding experience between you and your pooch. It gives you a sense of connection and companionship like no other. Let’s face it, do-it-yourself grooming is also less expensive and you can skip the hassle of finding, booking and getting your dog to and from a trustworthy groomer.
Now for dogs that have very specific needs or if you’re a complete novice, you should only groom under the advice of a professional to get you started. But once you learn the ropes, you’ll find that it’s most likely easy and fun, barely a chore at all. That being said, you are going to need some special tools. Different brushes and combs, depending on your dog’s haircoat, and possibly even clippers. If your dog requires an occasional or regular trim, dog hair clippers are the way to go. They are much safer than scissors or shears and produce a more even cut, but there’s so many to choose from. How can you possibly narrow it down? We’re here to help!
- How to Choose the Best Dog Hair Clippers
- The 10 Best Dog Hair Clippers on the Market 2020
- 1. Andis Ceramic Edge Carbon-Infused Steel Detachable Pet Clipper Blade
- 2. IWEEL 2-Speed Professional Rechargeable Cordless, Low Noise and Waterproof Electric Dog Trimmer Grooming Kit
- 3. Highdas Dog Grooming Kit Clippers, Low Noise, Electric, Rechargeable, Cordless
- 4. Ceenwes Heavy Duty, Low Noise, Rechargeable Cordless Pet Clippers
- 5. Oneisall Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Hair Clippers Set for Dogs
- 6. Wahl Pet-Pro Dog Grooming Kit – Quiet Heavy-Duty Electric Dog Clipper for Dogs & Cats with Thick & Heavy Coats
- 7. Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Grooming Kit
- 8. Oneisall 2-Speed Quiet Rechargeable Cordless Pet Grooming Hair Clippers Set
- 9. Bousnic 2-Speed Cordless Pet Hair Grooming Clippers Kit
- 10. Sminiker Professional Rechargeable Cordless Grooming Clippers
- Canine Hair Cutting Tips Using Dog Clippers
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose the Best Dog Hair Clippers
If you want your dog to have that just groomed look without the hassle of going to the groomer, it may be time to look into getting a set of your own dog hair clippers. There’s more to choosing a set than you would think and it’s definitely not a one-size-fits-all situation. Let’s break down the different aspects of dog hair clippers to help you find the perfect cut.
The 10 Best Dog Hair Clippers on the Market 2020
There are plenty of dog hair clippers out there to choose from, almost too many. How do you possibly weed through all of those brands and features to find the best clippers for you? To help, here’s a list of the 10 best dog hair clippers and blades on the market in 2020.
1. Andis Ceramic Edge Carbon-Infused Steel Detachable Pet Clipper Blade
- Best for: close clipping of the face, feet, tail, and ears
- Accessories: can be used with several brands of detachable type clippers
- General description: This ceramic edge blade from Andis can be used with most detachable blade type clippers. It features durable ceramic teeth that are designed to stay cooler longer and stay sharp to stand up to even professional use. This blade will leave your dog’s hair 0.5mm long, so it’s best for close-up clips of the face, feet and tail.
- Warranty: one-year warranty against defective material or workmanship
- Pros and cons: The Andis Ceramic Edge Carbon-Infused Steel Detachable Pet Clipper Blade works well for all hair types, from poodles to huskies. They seem to stay sharp and trim the hair with a smooth finish. It is sharp and gentle enough to cut through small mats and snarls without pulling the hair and causing discomfort.
2. IWEEL 2-Speed Professional Rechargeable Cordless, Low Noise and Waterproof Electric Dog Trimmer Grooming Kit
- Best for: trimming and full body clipping
- Accessories: 6 combs for different hair lengths, scissors, hair comb, cleaning brush
- General description: The Iweel offers a two-speed motor for a fine-tuned trim or a quick full body cut. The detachable blades ensure that you can always have a sharp blade and the six different attachable combs will give you the right hair length no matter what look you’re going for. The Iweel clipper motor is waterproof, so it’s easily cleaned and gives you a detailed percentage of battery life remaining so you can recharge at more opportune times. These clippers are ergonomically designed to be comfortable no matter how many dogs or hard to reach areas you are trimming. They are also low vibration and low noise.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee, 2 year limited warranty
- Pros and Cons: It’s nice that this grooming kit from Iweel comes with most everything you’ll need to get your pup looking good. The six different combs offer variety while ensuring that you’ll have an even trim. The two speed design also makes it easy to clip all areas safely. With the body of the clippers being water resistant, you can ensure that your clippers are easily cleaned and easy to maintain.
3. Highdas Dog Grooming Kit Clippers, Low Noise, Electric, Rechargeable, Cordless
- Best for: quiet clippers for more skittish pups
- Accessories: 4 guard combs, scissors, hair comb, cleaning brush
- General description: The Highdas Dog Grooming Kit features highly adjustable clippers that are low noise and rechargeable. They are lightweight, high speed and comfortable to use. The ceramic blade stays cooler and sharper longer. These dog hair clippers are easily maneuverable to work over faces, feet, and ears but big enough to do full body trims as well.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee
- Pros and cons: These dog hair clippers are very lightweight and quiet, making them ideal for dogs that aren’t excited about having their hair clipped. The cordless feature also makes them easy to use as you don’t have to worry about getting you or your dog tangled in the cord, however they can be used with the cord while charging to save you time.
4. Ceenwes Heavy Duty, Low Noise, Rechargeable Cordless Pet Clippers
- Best for: complete grooming kit for all haircoat types
- Accessories: 4 comb attachments, scissors, teeth scissors, nail clipper, nail file, hair comb, cleaning brush, oil
- General description: The Ceenwes Heavy Duty Rechargeable Pet Clippers is a complete grooming kit to trim all hair types and even toenails. These clippers feature a ceramic moveable blade positioned on top of a stainless steel stationary blade to give you a cooler yet sharper cut. The clippers are low noise and low vibration to cater to nervous pets and a rechargeable battery that lasts up to four hours so you won’t have to recharge mid-trim. The four attachable combs make it easy to get any hair length you want, plus the blade can be adjusted to create even more hair lengths.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee
- Pros and cons: These clippers do seem to work well with most hair types. The battery lasts long enough to finish the job and the ceramic blades stay cool. The whole grooming kit is an added bonus so that you can easily do toenails and maintain your clippers without purchasing extra equipment.
5. Oneisall Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Hair Clippers Set for Dogs
- Best for: timid dogs that don’t like being trimmed
- Accessories: 4 attachable combs, hair comb, cleaning brush, scissors
- General description: This single speed cordless hair clippers from Oneisall are ultra low noise and low vibration to help keep dogs calm and collected while grooming. They also feature a ceramic moveable blade on top of a stainless steel stationary blade to prevent overheating and maintain sharpness cut after cut. This blade is also easily detachable so that you can change sizes quickly or for sharpening purposes.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee
- Pros and cons: The Oneisall hair clippers for dogs work well on most mats and are quiet enough to keep any dog calm. They work on all sizes of dogs, from Yorkies to Labradors. The blade stays sharp for multiple trimmings and is easily removed to speed the sharpening process.
6. Wahl Pet-Pro Dog Grooming Kit – Quiet Heavy-Duty Electric Dog Clipper for Dogs & Cats with Thick & Heavy Coats
- Best for: thick or heavy haircoats
- Accessories: 4 color coded attachable combs, scissors, hair comb, oil, cleaning brush
- General description: The Wahl Pet-Pro is a high powered, single speed dog hair clipper meant to demolish thick or heavy haircoats. This corded clipper is powerful enough to bust through tough snarls and thick hair, all while being quiet, gentle on your dog, and easy to work with. The four color coded attachable guard combs will help you determine the right length for your dog’s hair with even more variably by adjusting the blade. The blades are stainless steel with the perfect geometry to properly feed the hair. They are also self-sharpening, so they should never dull or snag.
- Warranty: limited 5 year warranty
- Pros and cons: This clipper is powerful and a useful product for thick, even double coated dog breeds. The corded feature means you’ll never have to worry about charging before you get started and the color coded comb guards make it extremely easy to get just the cut your dog is looking for.
7. Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Grooming Kit
- Best for: medium to fine hair
- Accessories: scissors, 7 attachable combs, finishing comb, instructional DVD, apron, blade guard, cleaning brush, oil
- General description: The Wahl Deluxe U-Clip Grooming kit is a great dog hair clipper for finishing touches or touch-ups between grooming. It can also be used for light whole body trimming, but probably isn’t a great choice for large dogs or thicker coated breeds. This grooming kit contains everything you’ll need to make your dog look neat and trim and even keep hair off of you. The instructional video is an added bonus to help first timers or give even seasoned, at-home groomers a helpful tip. This corded, single speed clipper is lightweight, low heat and low noise. The blade is adjustable, as well as providing you with seven guard combs to get that perfect hair length, and blades are easily interchangeable should you need something different.
- Warranty: 5 year limited warranty
- Pros and cons: The Wahl Deluxe U-Clip clippers are very easy to use and the low noise and heat makes them ideal for pups that aren’t fans of trimming tools. They work very well to do touch ups around the face, feet, and ears and to remove mats or even light body clipping. The instructional video definitely helps some dog parents get more comfortable with grooming their dogs at home.
8. Oneisall 2-Speed Quiet Rechargeable Cordless Pet Grooming Hair Clippers Set
- Best for: dogs that are more skittish around noise and vibration
- Accessories: 6 guard combs, cleaning brush, scissors, hair comb
- General description: These Oneisall clippers are cordless, quiet, and multiple speed. They have low vibration and low heat, making them perfect for your less compliant pups. The battery is quickly rechargeable and has a long running life of up to five hours with an easy to read LCD display to show you exactly how much battery is remaining, drastically reducing those middle-of-the-trim battery breaks. It has a ceramic moveable blade on top of a stationary stainless steel blade to ensure low heat and proper sharpness. Plus, the blade is easily removed for cleaning and sharpening.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee
- Pros and cons: The quietness and low vibrations of these Oneisall dog hair clippers really do make them a great choice for dogs that have a little anxiety when it comes to grooming. Couple that with low heat and long battery life and you’re free to take your time when trimming your dog so that both of you are comfortable with the cut.
9. Bousnic 2-Speed Cordless Pet Hair Grooming Clippers Kit
- Best for: sensitive skin
- Accessories: 4 guard combs, cleaning brush, scissors, hair comb, oil
- General description: The Bousnic Cordless clippers are multiple speed to whip through any type of haircoat, yet quiet and gentle enough for the most skittish pups. It also won’t pull the hair or irritate the skin like other clippers can. The rechargeable battery is long lasting with a built-in indicator so you’ll always know how much life is left. The ergonomically shaped clippers will be comfortable and easy to use not matter how many dogs or how much hair you have to trim.
- Warranty: lifetime limited warranty
- Pros and cons: These dog hair clippers from Bousnic work well on all types of haircoats, from curly to fine. They are easy and comfortable to use with very little noise or vibration.
10. Sminiker Professional Rechargeable Cordless Grooming Clippers
- Best for: all hair types
- Accessories: cleaning brush, 4 guard combs, scissors, nail clippers, nail file
- General description: The Sminiker is a heavy duty, powerful cordless clipper designed for all hair types. It is also low noise and low vibration so your pup won’t mind it. The rechargeable battery has a fairly short running life with an indicator light to let you know when the charge is about up. The blade features an upper ceramic with a lower stainless steel for less heat and a sharper cut.
- Warranty: 30 day money back guarantee
- Pros and cons: These clippers from Sminiker are lightweight and extremely quiet with little or no vibration so they’re a great choice for skittish pups. They are also very adjustable ensuring that you’ll get just the right cut.
Canine Hair Cutting Tips Using Dog Clippers
Grooming your dog with hair clippers may not come naturally to you, or to your dog. To make the experience a little more pleasant, do a little background work to reduce the time spend with the hair clippers. Wash and brush your dog first to remove excess dirt, debris and hair. Brush or comb out as many of the tangles and snarls as possible to reduce the amount of pulling the clippers do to the hair. You need to make sure the hair is dry before you start to clip as wet hair can quickly dull and rust your clipper blades.
Reduce anxiety in nervous dogs by choosing a quiet and low vibration set of hair clippers. Take frequent breaks if your pup needs them in order to give treats and praise on a job well done. Go slowly to avoid nicking the skin or pulling the hair as this will only make your pup more anxious. If your dog is especially nervous, you may run the clippers, blades off, over your dog first to get them used to the noise and feel of them without the risk of nicking their skin.
Gather all necessary items, such as clippers, brush, comb, and coolant, and keep them within easy reach to avoid leaving your dog alone in the grooming area while you go to retrieve something. Hold your dog or gently tie them to prevent sudden movements that could injure or scare them. Take your time and clip in the direction of the hair. Going against the grain can lead to a trim that’s too short or choppy and uneven. Make sure you’re comfortable with what you’re doing and always talk to a professional first if you have any questions or concerns about grooming your dog with hair clippers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Just to cover all of the dog hair clipper bases, here are some answers to frequently asked questions of dog parents just like you.
Trimming your dog at home is a great way to save money as well as spend quality time with them. It can also cut down on the hassle of finding and going to a quality groomer. However, with the wrong tools, trimming your dog at home can be a nightmare. Choosing the right dog hair clippers is a must if you choose to take on your dog’s hair needs yourself. The right set of clippers should be comfortable and easy to use for you and your dog. They should also allow you to easily create a haircut that not only keeps your dog healthy but looks and feels great.