More volume, bouncy curls, wavy hair, tight curls and most of all long lasting curls, all these guaranteed with the use of only one styling tool, the hot roller!
This styling tool has been around for decades, and most of us were used to seeing our grandmothers and mothers using them, but this tool has now been revolutionized and encompassed with modern technology that suits your hair best.
This is the best alternative for overnight hair rollers and all those curling irons, unlike other styling tools, hot rollers cut the time spent on your daily beauty routine because you can still go to the shower, take your breakfast and do many more things after fixing the rollers in your head.
Well, not all of us were blessed with natural thick curly or wavy hair with volume, but that does not mean that’s the end for you, because this magic styling tools are here for you, and the most interesting part is that you don’t need to use it in the saloon or get a whole group of people to help you, all you need is get the best hot roller that suits your hair and know a few tips on how to use the tool properly and then get rolling!
This article will guide you on how to select the best hot roller that suits your hair perfectly and how to use it, so as to avoid frustrations and disappoints after purchasing one. For starters sometimes it may difficult to know which hot rollers is the best for you.
One may be confused on how to select the best hot roller, wax core or ceramic infused rollers? Or should you go for sponge rollers? Ribbed or flocked? What heat setting should you apply? What size of hot roller should you get? Not to worry because this article has all that you need to know about hot rollers and at the end of this article we guarantee you will know how to select the best hot roller that is best for your hair needs.
The quickest and safest way to achieve elegant hair with body is definitely by use of hot rollers, this styling tool is a must have if you are looking to achieve that bombshell curly hair. Get a variety of styles with the use of only one tool.
Want to give this tool a try? Then read more to find out the best hot roller that suits the needs of your hair.
- 1 How to Select the Best Hot Roller for Your Hair Type
- 2 Reviews of 11 Best Hot Rollers on the Market 2018
- 2.1 1. Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo And Super Jumbo Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Both Short And Long Thick Hair
- 2.2 2. Remington H1015 Compact Ceramic Worldwide Voltage Hair Rollers – Best Choice for Travelling
- 2.3 3. Caruso C97953 30 Molecular Steam Hairsetter – Best Choice for Damaged Hair
- 2.4 4. Calista Tools Ion Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Short Thick Hair
- 2.5 5. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Professional Jumbo Roller Hairsetter – Best Choice for Achieving Numerous Tight Curls
- 2.6 6. John Frieda Body & Shine Smooth Waves Jumbo Rollers – Best Choice for Achieving Waves And Volume
- 2.7 7. Revlon Curls- to- Go 10 Piece Travel Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Long Thin Hair
- 2.8 8. T3 Micro Voluminous Hot Rollers Luxe Hair Roller – Best Choice for Extremely Thick Hair
- 2.9 9. Campbell Mcauley Hot Rollers – Ionic – Best Choice for Achieving Healthy Hair
- 2.10 10. Paul Mitchell Neuro Cell Premium Hot Roller System – Best Choice for Long Lasting Curls
- 2.11 11. Clairol 20 Instant Hairsetter Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Achieving Different Styles
- 3 Conclusion
How to Select the Best Hot Roller for Your Hair Type
Below are the important factors and features to consider for you to be able to choose the tool that best suits the needs of your hair;
- Check the size of the tool
There is a variety of hot rollers with different sizes available in the market, each of them deliver different results depending on the size of hot roller. Selecting a set of hot roller which has different sizes of rollers will allow you to enjoy a variety of styles, because you can make tight curls if your set has smaller rollers and you can also create more volume with bouncy curls if your set has larger rollers, so a set with combination of both larger, medium and small rollers can produce a variety of styles.
If you are looking for volume especially if you have thin hair, then you should consider getting large hot rollers. You have to make sure that the roller body will be able to wrap around your hair at least three or two times.
If you want to maintain a consistent or uniform curl pattern, then you should select a hot roller set that contains the same size of rollers. And if you want to achieve different curling patterns, then you should select a set of hot roller that contains variety or different sizes of rollers.
- Check the number of rollers or the quantity of the roller
Each set available in the market contain different numbers of rollers, depending on the curl pattern or style that you want to achieve. If you want to achieve tight curls, you will definitely need many smaller rollers. Long thick hair usually requires many rollers, while thin and fine hair may require a few rollers, so it is always advisable to check the number of rollers available in a full set before purchasing it.
- Heat technology
Different hot rollers have been infused with different type of heating technology. It can be sponge rollers, ceramic rollers or wax core rollers, so you have to choose the hot roller infused with technology that works for your hair type.
In addition to that, some hot rollers have variable temperature setting, while others have constant heat temperature. Many people always prefer using hot rollers without variable temperature setting, but I recommend the one with various temperature heat settings so that you may choose the temperature that works for your hair.
It’s highly recommendable that people with fine or thin hair should always use hot rollers with lower heat settings to avoid hair breakage and also to be able to achieve the best results. Thick or coarse type of hair requires hot rollers with more heat.
For long lasting curls, and a quicker process, one may go for the foam rollers, since they heat up quickly because they heat up with steam which makes them moister.
Wax core rollers are always layered with wax in the center, which helps to hold the heat well and makes long lasting curls which are strong, this ideal especially to hair that is almost difficult to curl. This technology works perfectly for people with thick hair.
Ceramic infused rollers are perfect for reducing frizz and also gives your hair a smooth shinny look due to ceramic core feature that produce ions of infrared heat.
Hot rollers can either have flocked which have a velvet base or ribbed finishes which have small ridges, but most people usually prefer hot rollers with ribbed finishes because they can be rolled out of the hair easily and faster without causing any tangling or pulling.
The flocked rollers are more effective when it comes to holding your hair in place unlike the ribbed rollers, and more so they always create large curls compared to ribbed rollers. Flocked hot rollers works perfectly as heat protectant compared to ribbed rollers. People with thin or fine hair should go for hot rollers with smooth finishes, the flocked finishes.
- The Length and type of your Hair
The length and type of your hair is also a determinant factor on which hot roller you should get. If you have long hair you will have to go for large hot rollers and those with short hair should go for smaller rollers, but the best thing about this tool is that no matter the length of hair, it still creates more volume from the roots.
Reviews of 11 Best Hot Rollers on the Market 2018
1. Conair Xtreme Instant Heat Jumbo And Super Jumbo Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Both Short And Long Thick Hair
Long thick hair which is almost impossible to curl? If yes, then you must make this tool your new best friend at all costs.
People with long and medium hair should definitely get themselves this tool and make the best out of it, because it has been designed with great technology that mostly favors thick long and medium hair. The ability of these rollers to heat up fast enables you to spend less time on your daily styling routine, this is as a result of its’ ceramic technology.
You can choose to go with varied curls or constant curls while using this hot roller, since the set comes with different sizes of rollers. You can achieve tight curls, or big curls with this set of hot roller, it gives you a variety of styles to choose from.
- Heats up fast, about 2 minutes thus saving more time
- Has small, medium and large rollers which is perfect for short, long and medium hair
- Protects your hair from heat damage due to its ceramic technology
- Doesn’t have the on/off button, so it can be frustrating for you to plug them in to turn them on and also to unplug them when you are done
- Give crimping marks due to the cut outs on sides of the barrel, I recommend fixing a tissue between the clips and your hair.
2. Remington H1015 Compact Ceramic Worldwide Voltage Hair Rollers – Best Choice for Travelling
You always hitting the road and you still need your hair to have that curly look? If yes, then this product is specifically meant for you, and you need to get yourself this hot roller to avoid the embarrassment of traveling with bad looking crinkled hair.
Works perfectly for thin straight or damaged hair due to its ionic technology which conditions and repairs your hair. This babies works magic to wavy thick hair which is prone to frizz, giving you smooth, bouncy curls with sheen. And the small rollers available in this set guarantees tight curls. You can achieve various styles by using both the small and large rollers since the set comes with two sizes of rollers.
- Prevents frizz
- Perfect for traveling anywhere since it has a worldwide voltage and doesn’t take too much space
- No on/ off switch, just plug in and unplug
- Clips don’t fit properly
- Not enough rollers in a set for people with long thick hair, so I recommend getting a second set
- You have to make sure the rollers are properly in place over the contact point, when heating them or else they will not warm up perfectly
3. Caruso C97953 30 Molecular Steam Hairsetter – Best Choice for Damaged Hair
Get those tight corkscrew spirals with the help of this styling tool, which is one of the best hot rollers to use even if you have damaged and frail hair. The steam allows your leave-in conditioner to easily penetrate in your cuticles thus improving your hair quality.
These steam setting curlers which comes in different sizes enables you to achieve multiple styles within few minutes.
This tool is great for achieving a healthy hair since it does not fry your hair, so I definitely recommend this hot roller for anyone who wants healthy hair, steam is much easier and gentle on your hair.
In addition this hot roller is perfect for long thick frizzy hair, with the many numbers of rollers in a set, thick and long hair can easily be managed with the help of this tool, and also steam produced ensures long lasting curls.
Best tool for thin hair since your hair is not exposed to direct heat.
- Healthy for your hair
- Long lasting curls
- Time consuming
- Requires regular special cleaning
4. Calista Tools Ion Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Short Thick Hair
This hot roller is of great quality and easily portable since they are light in weight and this makes them perfect for travelling. Unlike many hot rollers, this tool has been encompassed with an on and off switch button thus making it much easier to use. This hot roller heats up quickly and it’s perfect to use when in a hurry, and works great on fine thin hair, and also on thick hair.
A lot of users of this product who have thick hair love it because it is easy to remove the rollers without pulling or tangling their hair.
One can also purchase the second set which is the long style set, this is great especially for people with long hair and this set has similar features like the short curler set.
I highly recommend this product for short, thick hair since it has smaller rollers with heating elements inside, thus retaining heat longer.
- Has a great grip
- Reduce frizz
- The rollers in one set may not be enough for people with very thick hair.
5. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Professional Jumbo Roller Hairsetter – Best Choice for Achieving Numerous Tight Curls
This hot roller is one of the best for fine, thin hair since it’s designed with velvet flocked rollers which are safe and gentle on hair. They are gentle and safe to your scalp and also fingers.
It has multiple sizes of rollers allowing you to create different style and curl pattern that suits you but if you prefer constant or uniform curls then you can purchase the set with twelve pack jumbo curlers.
People with long thick hair should go for set with twelve jumbo rollers, although this common version has twenty rollers with different sizes, small and medium curlers which can also work for thick hair.
This hot roller emits ions into your scalp thus reducing frizz and ensuring smooth and shinny curls.
- Uses far infrared hit which is gentle on your hair
- Heats up fast and creates long lasting curls
- Great grip
- A little bit heavy, so travelling with them is a challenge
- Reports of overheating and also melting from a few reviews
6. John Frieda Body & Shine Smooth Waves Jumbo Rollers – Best Choice for Achieving Waves And Volume
If you are looking for body and waves, then this hot roller is the way to go, and the best thing is that they heat up much more faster thus cutting off time on your daily beauty routine. You can choose between low and high temperature setting to achieve the desired results depending on your hair type.
It emits ions to your scalp thus conditioning and nourishing your hair living it smooth and healthy
This styling tool helps you to achieve volume and waves but I would not recommend it if you want to achieve more defined curls. It’s gentle on hair and reduces hair breakage, so it’s great for people with thin or damaged hair since you can use the low heat option. This hot roller gives your hair a smooth full bodied look without a lot of curls or in some cases depending on your type of hair no curls at all.
- Creates great volume and waves
- Designed with ionic technology which conditions your hair thus ensuring a smooth and shiny look for your hair
- The clips fall out easily
- Does not create defined curls
7. Revlon Curls- to- Go 10 Piece Travel Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Long Thin Hair
Say goodbye to frizzy and dry hair, because this tool has come to your rescue with its’ unique tourmaline ionic technology which keeps your hair hydrated, smooth and healthy throughout.
This tool is a holy grail for people with long thin hair, because it has been designed with extra long rollers that allow long hair to wound perfectly on them thus ensuring that each section or strand of hair is curled to the maximum.
The best thing about this styling tool is that it gives room for multiple hair styles, since it has different sizes of rollers.
Tourmaline and ceramic technology all in one tool acts as perfect combo for your hair, and I highly recommend this hot roller for people with damaged or thin hair, because this feature will not only reduce heat damage, but also promote healthy growth for your hair.
- Compact and lightweight
- Eliminates frizz
- Number of rollers may not be enough for thick hair
8. T3 Micro Voluminous Hot Rollers Luxe Hair Roller – Best Choice for Extremely Thick Hair
Although it’s a little bit pricey compared to other rollers, it’s most definitely worth spending on because it has been designed with the most high quality materials and modern technology. Its’ ability to heat up faster and retain heat makes it the perfect hot roller for achieving long lasting curls with volume.
It has large rollers which are perfect for extremely thick hair and also it has been designed with good heating technology which makes it great for dealing with unruly hair that is always resistant to styling.
- Great grip which enables easy handling
- Can be used while traveling anywhere, since it has a charging base and also worldwide voltage
- Safe to use at home since it has an automatic shut off
- The rollers may not be enough for styling extremely thick hair
- The rollers get really hot, so it’s best to use a heat protective glove while handling them
9. Campbell Mcauley Hot Rollers – Ionic – Best Choice for Achieving Healthy Hair
This set contains high quality rollers which are gentle on your hair and easy to unroll ensuring you experience no pulling or tangling during the process due to its’ quality finish and great teeth.
Different sizes of rollers allows versatile hair styling for both short and long hair, but the long rollers creates perfect curls for long hair. It creates healthy hair due to its ionic technology thus making it perfect for damaged hair. Its’ patented ribbed finish ensures that no kinks and crinkles are left in your hair after finishing the process.
What users love most about this hot roller set is because of its’ great teeth which makes it easier to wrap your hair and also much more easy to use.
- Easy to unroll and holds your hair in place due to its’ quality finish
- Has long rollers which creates perfect curls for extra long hair
- The rollers may not be enough if you have lots of hair
10. Paul Mitchell Neuro Cell Premium Hot Roller System – Best Choice for Long Lasting Curls
Yes, it’s among the pricey hot rollers available in the market, but I think it deserves it, the high quality materials, the great features and the perfect end results of this product are to die for.
This enhanced modern hot roller is user friendly to every hair type, since it has been encompassed with four heating temperature settings to allow you to choose the right temperature for your hair type.
It has rollers with smooth finishes that are gentle on your hair, thus making the product easy to use. If constant or uniform curls are your thing then this is definitely the right hot roller for you because this set only comes with the same size of rollers, so if you want a mixture of different curling styles you can purchase other sizes of rollers separately.
It has flocked texture rollers covered with smooth materials that perfectly holds your hair in place thus guaranteeing bouncy and definite curls.
- Long lasting curls
- Best for every hair type
- The rollers may not be enough for extra thick, long and coarse hair
11. Clairol 20 Instant Hairsetter Hot Rollers – Best Choice for Achieving Different Styles
This is one of the most expensive hot rollers available in the market, but if healthy hair is always your number one authority then you should not hesitate to get this product.
This hot roller set allows you to choose different hair styling of your choice since it comes with small, medium and large rollers.
I recommend this product to people with lots of hair or thick hair, since it has numerous numbers of hot rollers which are different in size allowing you to achieve tight or large bouncy curls.
It has small and numerous medium rollers making it easy for people with short hair to achieve defined long lasting curls with body.
- Heats up very fast
- Can be used on short, medium and long hair
- Long lasting curls
- Allows you to achieve different hair styles
- A little bit pricey compared to other hot rollers
- Does not come with clips
One thing you can never go wrong with hot rollers is achieving fullness and body for your hair, all hot rollers can give you that. But when it comes to achieving your desired curl pattern you have to know which hot rollers to get depending on your hair type. Follow this guide to able to know the materials and features that will deliver perfect results when purchasing a hot roller. You can also analyze the reviewed products above to know which one suits your hair best.