- 1 The 8 Best Cool Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
- 1.1 1. Vicks Filter Cool Mist Humidifier – Best Overall
- 1.2 2. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Tiny Home Living
- 1.3 3. Everlasting Comfort Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Busy People
- 1.4 4. PurSteam Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Single People
- 1.5 5. URPOWER MH501 Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Minimalists
- 1.6 6. Crane USA Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for Small Rooms
- 1.7 7. Anypro Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier – Best for a Kid’s Room
- 1.8 8. Aennon Cool Mist Humidifier – First Runner-Up
- 2 The 3 Best Warm Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
- 3 The 3 Best Warm and Cool Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
- 4 Conclusion
The change in seasons is coming, and that means dry air, colds and flu, and any number of health issues that can be addressed by having the correct humidifier in your home.
Humidifiers are great. They are simple, effective and have become a staple in many households. Once upon a time, the gold standard was a warm mist model that was plugged in to treat cold symptoms. But now, there are both warm and cool mist types, and even those that can change between both.
So, which one do you need?
Let’s look at the basics of each type of humidifier operation.
By definition, a humidifier adds moisture to the air. The amount of moisture in the air is measured by a humidity level that is a percentage.
Since most of us don’t really pay attention to our home’s humidity levels, you might not be aware of what the healthy range is for all of us.
For maximum benefit to your sinuses, respiratory system, and skin, you’ll want the humidity levels to be around 35-45%.
Common times to break out the humidifier are when someone has a cough, stuffy nose or during allergy season.
The 8 Best Cool Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
Cool mist humidifiers operate by using ultrasonic technology. A disc in the water reservoir vibrates at ultrasonic speed. This breaks the water into tiny droplets, and they are released into the room air.
They are quiet and efficient, and don’t use any heat. They are best for situations that require the utmost attention to safety, as they never heat the water up. They are best for children.
They have some drawbacks, such as problems with hard water and bacteria. It’s important to clean cool mist humidifiers daily to prevent mineral build-up and bacterial growth.
When evaluating a humidifier for your home, you’ll want to consider the following:
- Running time: How long will the unit work before it needs to be refilled?
- Easy of cleaning: How easy is the unit to keep clean sanitized?
- Extra features: We will evaluate extra features like night lights and timers.
Here are some of the best cool mist humidifiers on the market.
The 3 Best Warm Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
Warm mist humidifiers work in a different way than cool mist units, and that difference is why some prefer them. In a unit like this, water is heated to boiling temperature in the reservoir, and this creates the warm vapor.
In steam humidifiers, (aka: “vaporizers”) water is heated to boiling temperature in the reservoir, and the resulting vapor is pushed out into the air by a fan. These units can be used with oils like menthol or eucalyptus to help with stuffy noses and congestion.
The 3 Best Warm and Cool Mist Humidifiers to Buy In 2018
If you can’t decide between the cool mist humidifiers and the warm mist versions, there’s good news. Some units will let you pick between both!
Selecting the best humidifier for your home should be based on the size of your home, your need for the use of inhalants or essential oils, and the desirability of features like nightlights, easy cleaning, and humidity sensors.
No matter what your choice, be sure to keep your humidifier clean and make sure that mold or mineral deposits don’t occur. With regular maintenance, even the cheaper humidifiers will last longer and perform at their best.