- 1 How to Choose the Best Wireless Headphones for Running and Working Out
- 2 The 10 Best Wireless Headphones for Running and Working Out In 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
- 2.1 1. Bose SoundSport Pulse Wireless Headphones – Best Choice Reliability
- 2.2 2. Jabra Elite 65t Alexa Enabled True Wireless Earbuds – Best Choice for A Custom Sound
- 2.3 3. BeatsX Wireless In-Ear Headphones – Best Choice for iPhone
- 2.4 4. Jaybird X3 – Best Choice for Compact Size
- 2.5 5. 66 Audio-BTS Pro Wireless Headphones – Best Choice for Battery Life
- 2.6 6. Plantronics BackBeat Fit – Best Choice for Running In The Rain
- 2.7 7. Aftershokz Trekz Titanium – Best Choice for Safe Running
- 2.8 8. Bose QuietComfort 35 – Best Choice for Comfort
- 2.9 9. Jaybird Run – Best Choice for A Short Run
- 2.10 10. Samsung Gear IconX – Best Choice for Storing Music
- 3 Conclusion
Have you ever gone for a run only to have your earbuds fall out constantly? Or has the wire on your headphones ever caught itself on a piece of equipment at the gym?
Many problems can arise with wired headphones especially when running or working out. So, as you can imagine, wireless headphones have become very popular. Actually, let me rephrase that…they have become very VERY popular.
But even with their high demand, you still run into a problem with wireless headphones. Here’s the problem: a lot of different companies have come out with many different variations. And with so many wireless headphones on the market, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to determine the best version for you. That is, the best version for your specific needs. So, whether you run long or short, or you enjoy an easy or hard workout, it can be challenging to make the best decision.
That’s why I put this guide together. Being a runner who always wears headphones, I understand the importance and power that music can have on your workout. So, this guide will not only teach you how to pick out a pair of wireless headphones, but I compiled a list of the top models in 2018. This will make the selection process much easier for you.
So, read on and get ready to find the best wireless headphones for YOU.
How to Choose the Best Wireless Headphones for Running and Working Out
The 10 Best Wireless Headphones for Running and Working Out In 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
1. Bose SoundSport Pulse Wireless Headphones – Best Choice Reliability
Bose is one of the industry giants when it comes to audio equipment. So as you can imagine, Bose headphones are of the highest quality, sound incredible, and last a long time. The Bose SoundSport Pulse is their most popular cord wireless headphones. That’s at no surprising being that it has technology like a built-in heart rate sensor. Your bpm is actually monitored through your ear! The data is then sent to the Bose connect app in real time. This method allows you to track your heart rate zone without a watch or chest strap.
Another one of its uniquely beneficial features is its StayHear tips. You will instantly feel the security and compression inside your ears. Confidently shake your head around during a workout without the tips falling out. My favorite part of the headphone, being a long distance runner, is its built-in rechargeable battery. This extends battery listening to 18 hours! That’s one of the most extended play time duration I’ve seen in the industry thus far. It’s users praise it for their superior sound and how the earbuds never fall out during a workout.
- Heart rate monitor provides real-time bpm for a more efficient workout.
- 15 minutes of charging provides one hour of listening time so you can charge on the fly.
- An excellent sound quality which helps eliminate external noise when running outside.
- Made by Bose which is a well-known company.
- It uses a cord to connect buds,
- A bit pricey.
2. Jabra Elite 65t Alexa Enabled True Wireless Earbuds – Best Choice for A Custom Sound
For the top TRUE wireless headphones in 2018 check out the Jabra Elite 65t. As I mentioned earlier, true wireless headphones are solo earbuds. They have no wire connecting the two sides. The connection of this model is done through Bluetooth, and you can even answer phone calls. Being able to answer calls when exercising is convenient.
One of the more unique features of these wireless headphones is its customizable equalizer. With this feature, you can change the audio configurations to the custom sound of your liking. There’s even a voice control option that connects to Alexa, Siri, or Google Assistant. So not only can you control the play mode, but you don’t even have to push a button. It’s users love it for its 10-hour charging case.
- It feels like you are not even wearing headphones because they are true wireless headphones.
- You can find your preferred sound with the customizable equilibrium.
- Excellent warranty to protect you against water, sweat and dust damage.
- True headphones are easier to lose.
- Decent price for true wireless headphones but still on the high side.
3. BeatsX Wireless In-Ear Headphones – Best Choice for iPhone
If you know anything about Beats, you probably know the artist Dr. Dre designed them. After some time, he then sold them to Apple for a whole lot of money. I’ve personally owned a pair of beats, and the sound quality is incomparable. In this model, the BeatsX Wireless In-Ear Headphones, there is a cord to connect each earbud. The earbuds then simply press into your ears providing a secure and comfortable fit. The buds are also flat with a flexible neckband both preventing the cord from tangling.
These Beats headphones also take calls and controls music through Siri. They call this feature “Remote Talk.” And the sound quality is incredible. It’s user praise them for being super comfortable and loves how quick they charge.
- Owned by Apple so you can only expect innovation audio technology.
- Comfortable fit inside the inner lobes.
- A tangle proof design that prevents the earbuds from falling out.
- Neckband provides flexibility without losing its firm fit.
- It’s Siri connection works the best compared to other headphones since Apple owns them.
- Earbud cord and neck cord create a lot going on behind your head.
4. Jaybird X3 – Best Choice for Compact Size
Jaybird is a relatively newer company compared to some of the other industry giants on this list. However, their headphones have hit the running scene as of late. You will notice they have a few professional endurance athletes now endorsing them. The Jay X3 is one of the more popular wireless headphones for Jay Bird and focuses mainly on its compact design. They are small and even use mini wireless buds. Their goal was to make this model as tiny as possible without sacrificing functionality, comfort, and sound. The in-ear buds come with a cord to connect them. The earbuds are designed with a patent silicone ear fin providing the listener with a secure fit. And battery life is 8 hours long! That’s enough time to get in a few workouts without evening thinking about another charge. It’s users love this wireless headphone for their supreme sound quality and small size.
- Comfortable fit from its lightweight and small design.
- Silicone ear fins compress within the ear preventing them from falling out.
- Trendy company and design.
- Excellent battery life for long runs without the need of charging.
- Customers have reported quality issues but say customer service is top notch.
5. 66 Audio-BTS Pro Wireless Headphones – Best Choice for Battery Life
Most Bluetooth headphones will cut you off after 3-4 hours of playback. Trust me, I know, out on long runs I’ve had wireless headphones die on me before. But with the 66 Audio BTS Pro, you won’t have to worry about your headphones losing a charge…EVER. That’s because with their new technology you get 40 hours of playback! And even when you run out, it only takes 90 minutes to get another full 40 hours.
These wireless headphones are an over-ear style with a hardcover cord that wraps around your neck. Plus, with a memory foam material, they sit very comfortably on your ears. Some have even said it feels like pillows. And that makes sense that they focus heavily on comfort since there’s so much battery life. If you are going use your headphones for a long stretch, you should expect extra comfort. It’s users love this wireless headphone for their durability and battery life.
- Super long battery life equals long…LONG playback hours.
- Bluetooth works 100+ feet away, so you don’t have to hold your phone when working out indoors.
- Durable design with hard neck cord for a sturdy and comfortable fit.
- Incredibly efficient charge back to play time ratio.
- Super comfortable on your ears.
- Over-ear is a bulkier style compared to others.
6. Plantronics BackBeat Fit – Best Choice for Running In The Rain
So how waterproof are the Plantronics BackBeat Fit wireless headphones exactly? Well, they can withstand fresh water up to one meter for 30 minutes. With a set of headphones capable of this level of waterproofing, sweat doesn’t even become a concern. Plus, besides their resistance to sweat, they are comfortable and secure too. That’s because they wrap comfortably around your neck with a hard cord cover and loop around your ears.
If you like high bass with a crisp sound, then these are the headphones for you. Although some say they don’t play as loud as they wish, others say once you download the app and sync it, the sound becomes much louder and clearer. User praise these headphones for their durability and can confidently run with them out in the rain.
- Hardcover makes them durable, so you don’t have to worry about breaking them.
- They are waterproof so you can run in the rain or sweat during an intense workout without worry.
- Decent price compared to other wireless headphones.
- Controls allow you to pause music and take a phone call during exercise instantly.
- Not loud enough for some.
7. Aftershokz Trekz Titanium – Best Choice for Safe Running
The Aftershokz Trekz Titaniums are considered “bone conduction” wireless headphones.” I know…what in the world does bone conduction mean? Well, bone conduction technology utilizes an open ear design. Simply put, it delivers music through your cheekbones. This technology was designed specifically with athletes in mind. So, let’s say you are out for a run in a busy city. Instead of canceling out ALL the noise, you can still hear some outside sound like cars on the road. Basically, your run becomes safer.
Bone conduction also comes in handy during trail races if you are on a tight track. Now when another runner wants to pass you from behind you can actually hear them. These headphones are also super durable because they have a titanium wraparound headband. It’s users love them for their open ear concept. Now you don’t’ have to worry about them falling out of your ears during a workout.
- Bone conduction technology is convenient for intense workouts.
- Made with durable material making it difficult to damage them.
- Innovative sound quality made for athletes.
- Very clear conversations when taking phone calls.
- Multiple color options.
- Too big of a fit for some.
8. Bose QuietComfort 35 – Best Choice for Comfort
If you are looking for an over-ear pair of headphones that completely eliminate outside noise, then the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones are for you. Yes, they are big, but you know what? Not everyone is looking for compact headphones. We all don’t go to the gym for intense exercise. Some rather have a clear and comfortable sound over functionality. Plus, if battery life is essential to you, then these headphones have you covered. How does 20 hours of wireless play time sound to you? Now you can charge them once and hit the gym all week without worrying about losing a charge.
As you may know already, Bose is one of the best, if not THE best company when it comes to sound quality. So, you can except the best sound money can buy. Its users praise it for their excellent comfort, plus wearing over-ear headphones is a trendy look.
- Excellent noise canceling feature is great for the gym or even while flying on a plane.
- Super comfortable on the ears.
- Music sharing available with other Bose headphone users.
- Industry-leading sound quality.
- High price,
- Over-ear style not that secure for intense workouts or runs.
9. Jaybird Run – Best Choice for A Short Run
The Jaybird Run wireless headphones are great for running. They are true wireless headphones, so there’s no cord to connect the two buds. Just pop them in your ears and hit the road or trails for a run. They do not have the longest battery life with 4 hours of play time, but they come with an 8-hour chargeable case. That’s 12 hours of battery life total.
Sometimes true headphones can be a little confusing when you first try them. How to charge them, what buttons to push for what connection, and other custom features. But after a few runs, the functions and controls become second nature. Plus, since they have no wires or cords, it feels like you are running without headphones. And when you are running long, this freedom of no wire makes a world of a difference. They are also sweat-proof and water-resistant. Basically, you’ll have a solid pair of true headphones for your next run.
- True headphones so no cords or wires will get in your way.
- Endorsed by professional endurance athletes.
- Customizable audio so you can find the sound you like.
- 8-hour chargeable case for extended battery life.
- Connectivity issues have been reported after frequent use.
- Low battery life compared to others.
10. Samsung Gear IconX – Best Choice for Storing Music
The best feature of the Samsung Gear IconX by far is the Find My Earbud feature in their Gear IconX app. Since they are true wireless headphones with no cord, it’s possible to lose them if they fall out of your ear. Well, not with these headphones. Whether you miss place them in your house or somewhere along the trails, you can now track them down with an app.
Another unique feature is their ability to store songs. Yes, this pair of headphones can store as many as 1,000 songs with 4GM of built-in storage! All you need to do is add the songs, and you can use the audio control buttons to listen. Leave your phone behind and still listen to all your favorite music. Also, if you have to take your earbuds out suddenly, they will automatically turn off. This helps save battery life, although some have reported this function does not work. But don’t be discouraged because they provide 5 hours of play time with Bluetooth. Or if using the built-in mp3 player, you get 7 hours total. So, if you are tired of carrying around your phone and want a simple solution, then these are the headphones for you. It’s users love the find my earbud feature.
- Tracks time, distance, pace & calories burned.
- Stores up to 1000 songs in headphones so you can leave the phone behind.
- True wireless headphones, so no cord flapping around behind your head.
- Headphone tracker in case you lose them.
- Voice control so you can switch songs by just speaking.
- Users have reported issues with the controls and voice command.
Wireless headphones are what everyone is using now for running and working out. The freedom of having no cord and the convenience of streaming music during a workout makes the experience superior to wire headphones. So take a careful look at the wireless headphones on this list, determine what the best choice is for YOU, and get ready for an incredible experience. Running and working out for you will never be the same again.